February 12, 2012

Succulent Sunday Recipe 1 - Chicken Pillows

I have become a Pinterest addict like so many others I know. But one of my favorite thing to pin is recipes. Anyone who knows me, and has been in my kitchen, know the love I have for cookbooks. I have 100s of them. I pull recipes out of magazines, I have more recipes saved in my Favorites online.... I just love to try new recipes. My two favorite things to cook: chicken and any sort of dessert.

Chicken! Go figure... We raise them and its my favorite thing to eat. (Although our girls aren't for eating anything but their eggs!)

Recently, while on Pinterest, I stumbled across this amazing chicken recipe from this amazing cook named Nikki at Chef In Training. Nikki has many recipes on her site that I just cant WAIT to try.

So I tried her Chicken Pillow recipe.

This Photo is not mine.
I assume it is a photo taken by Nikki herself at Chef In Training.
Mine did not turn out NEARLY as pretty and I wanted to make sure that the
photo I gave you was a appetizing at the meal itself!


To say the least I was pleased with the recipe! My family had mixed reviews but all in all, this is definitely something we will be trying again (with some minor modifications).

Here is the recipe from Nikki:
CHICKEN PILLOWS:
1 can of 8 Pillsbury crescents
8 oz. block of cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
2-3 cups shredded chicken, cooked (I usually just buy a Rotisserie chicken and shred it up to make it even easier)
1 egg
saltine crackers, crushed

TOPPING:1 can cream of chicken
sour cream (a couple spoon fulls worth)
milk
shredded cheese


Preheat oven to 400 F

Soften 1/4 cup butter and 8oz. block of cream cheese. Then stir to a smooth consistency. Add cooked shredded chicken to the bowl.

Lay out the 8 crescents on a cookie sheet.

Stretch the crescent out. Place a couple spoon fulls of the creamy chicken mixture into the center of the crescent to fill it. Then fold the crescent around the mixture so that none of it is showing. I'll call this the "pillow"

In a separate smaller bowl, put the egg and a little bit of water, maybe a couple Tablespoons worth and beat together.

Dip the "pillow" into the blended egg.

After dipping into the blended egg, proceed to dip it into the crushed saltine crackers and place on cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining 7 crescents.

Cook the pillows at 400 F for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them your oven might cook them quicker.

For the sauce topping:

Put can of cream of chicken and milk into a sauce pan. Add as much milk as you want to get it to the consistency you want i.e. thicker or runnier. When hot enough add 2 spoon fulls of sour cream and cheese to your liking.
My MINOR modifications:
1. I will be taking out the sour cream and using more milk (or maybe some cream) from the sauce next time. With the sour cream it made the sauce too rich for my liking.
2. I added salt & pepper to the pillow stuffing concoction.
THAT'S IT!! I served it with fresh mashed potatoes and steamed veggies. This was an AMAZING recipe & I cant wait to try it again! Please visit Chef in Training for more recipes that I am sure you will enjoy!



Make Sure to Join the Barn Hop!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks really good. My folks are not fans of cream cheese, wonder if cream of chicken would be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try it and see what happens. I would think the consistency of the filling wouldnt be "dry" enough with the cream of chicken though.

    My children arent cream cheese eaters either, but surprisingly, none of them balked at it being part of the filling of the pillow. They didnt like the sauce and asked that I not put sour cream in it at all next time.

    Good Luck. And please, if you try the cream of chicken as a sustitute, come back and let me know how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:52 AM

    This looks SOOO good! I will have to try this soon! Thank you :)

    Sarah at http://becomingaproverbs31woman.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Sarah! I hope if you try it you will stop back by and give me your thoughts!

      Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I found your blog through the 2/13/12 Homestead Barn Hop... I couldn't resist finding out more about a recipe called "Chicken Pillows"! I've added this to my "must try" recipe list, and if I do make it, I'll come on back and let you know how it turned out. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! We eat a lot of chicken around here. I just picked a couple of whole chickens on sale, so this will be on the list to make with them.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Strawberry Comments