November 12, 2013

Do You Know The Signs?

November is Diabetes Awareness Month. As many of you know, my daughter Alyssa was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) at the age of 7. To read about how we found out and to see some important information please visit my 2012 Blog Post about it.

Alyssa is 18 years old now, so she has lived more of her life with diabetes than without it.

I urge you all to visit JDRF to learn more about Type 1 Diabetes; its signs, its symptoms and what you can do to help us find a CURE!

Warning signs of T1D include:
  • Extreme thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Drowsiness or lethargy
  • Increased appetite
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Sudden vision changes
  • Sugar in the urine
  • Fruity odor on the breath
  • Heavy or labored breathing
  • Stupor or unconsciousness


Alyssa age 18 - Diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic at the age of 7 yrs old.



Sharing This Week On:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





 







 

5 comments:

  1. Your daughter is a beautiful girl! Thanks for stopping over at my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! And THANK YOU for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing such important information. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Hi Julie - I know this is an older post but our 8 year old son was just diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes the first week of June. After several days in the hospital, we are home and trying to just live our lives. Difference being all food is measured and weighed and there are now needles involved :) I would love to be able to email you or have you email me - not sure how to do that without publicly sharing email addresses. Thanks for the post. We are still very new into this and it is amazing the "advice" people try to give us - because of their misconceptions, because of what they read on the internet, etc. Sigh. Thanks again for the post. Found you through searching Raising Arrows for "diabetes". Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea. Thank you for contacting me. I always hate to hear of another diagnosis, but sadly I know it happens all the time! You, I know already, are an awesome momma - just because you are out searching for information; not sitting there passively waiting for it to find you.

      I welcome you to email me: info.jamjardesigns@gmail.com - from there I would be happy to "friend" you on FB to my personal page, get you connected with other amazing "D mommas" and provide you with my personal cell phone number - so you can contact me quickly with D questions. I don't claim to "know all" but I certainly have learned a lot over the past *gasp* 12 years.

      Many blessings to your family! And I am so happy you found me! Having a circle of parents that "get it" and don't *judge you* is so crucial to keeping your sanity now that you have a "sugar baby"!!

      Julie

      Delete

Sweet Strawberry Comments