November 13, 2013

Part 1: Reading List

I don't know about you all, but I am an avid reader. I don't really shy away from reading any particular genres, but I do have my favorites and my favorite authors. So......., I have decided to start sharing some of those here - as a series. I will start this series with what I am currently reading. I will then go back over time and add in some of my other favorites (that I have already read) and give my thoughts on each.
 
Normally, I tend to read books that give me some  sort of "concrete" information:
  • Self-Help
  • Parenting
  • Religious & Spiritual
  • Cultural Books - Particularly the Amish & Mennonite Cultures
  • Biographies & Memoirs
  • Gardening
  • Cooking
  • How-To
  • Business & Human Resource

 
But, there is nothing wrong with (in my opinion), a good fictional drama or love story. I can get into a good love story or a "period-set" book like most people can. Don't get me wrong though - I don't want the "details" of a trashy romance novel, but a nice modest love story can generally keep me engaged. Combine that with some mild "drama & suspense" and I am sold!
 
 


In comes my new favorite author Chautona Havig. On her website, Chautona writes of herself:
 
"From my earliest years, I spent most of my free time lost in a book, until one day I realized that I had stories in my mind that I wanted to tell. Time passed, life, family, and work got in the way, and my dream of being a writer seemed to vanish into the desert winds."
 
"Dreams are beautiful things, though; they never quite disappear. I began writing again, editing, writing, editing, and now I have over a hundred books in progress– some of them finished. I write the stories of fictional people who have real problems, weaknesses, and triumphs. Through their stories, I try to share the Hope that is within me."
 
 
***********************
 
Chautona has SEVERAL series that I am in love with, not wanting them to ever end, but my absolute favorite has got to be the Past Forward series. Ironically enough, the beginning of this series is FREE today on Amazon for Kindle - so if you want to try this series out, without coming out of pocket to do it, today is the day to try!
 
The synopsis reads:
"Alone without friends or family to comfort her after the death of her mother, Willow Finley’s idyllic life is over—and just beginning.

When Willow Finley awakes on a hot summer morning, she is unprepared for the grief that awaits her. Jerked from a life of isolation with her mother, Willow learns what alone really means when she finds her mother still in her bed, never to awaken again in this life.

From the moment Willow arrives in the police station with her startling announcement, Chad Tesdall fights the friendship he knows he can't avoid."
 
Now MY take on it:
This is a story of a young girl who was brought up on a farm where she lived a very sheltered life. She was taught by her mother to be completely self-sufficient. While the rest of society had moved on to modern amenities, Willow was growing her own food, making her own clothes, living without electricity and didn't own a car, TV, or cell phone.

When her mother died, a local police officer stepped in to help, not because he wanted to, but because there was no one else there to support her and it was the right thing to do.  Despite his reluctance, he always shows up when Willow needs help, and many times when she didn't need or want help.

This an amazing series which starts out with a mom raising her daughter (Willow), in a Amish kind of lifestyle and transitions through her becoming "indoctrinated" into modern society. This story is compelling, interesting, and keeps you wanting to continue reading, to find out how she handles the changes, and to see how her life turns out with adjusting to all the being around people. You want to find out "What next?"


I do hope that each of you will take a moment to visit Chautona's website and see all of the amazing work she has done!




 

 
*Credit for photos is that of Chautona Havig and they do not belong to me or my site. No copyright infringement is intended. FREE Kindle book was at the time of this posting and price is subject to change.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sweet Strawberry Comments