November 25, 2013

Crawfish & Corn Soup

It's the time of the year when the only thing you want to eat is something hot. Saturday was a cold and wet day here in South Louisiana, so my sweet hubby (being a much better cook than I) made a delicious Crawfish & Corn Soup.
 
Honestly, the only thing I would change is to add some cheese to it..... of which I did in my own bowl. :)
 
 
Crawfish & Corn Soup

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
2 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 stalk of celery, diced
2 tablespoons garlic, minced
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 (15 ounce) cans cream-style corn
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of potato soup
1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 dash hot-sauce
salt and black pepper to taste
 2 pound crawfish, peeled

Directions:
Melt butter in a large pot over low heat, and stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly to make a blonde roux, about 5 minutes.

 Add yellow & green onions, green bell pepper, celery and garlic, cook until wilted. Pour in milk, heavy cream, creamed corn, whole kernel corn, and cream of potato soup. Season with Creole seasoning, hot-sauce, salt & pepper. Stir to blend, and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add the crawfish, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.



5 comments:

  1. This sould sounds delish! I can't wait to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It *really* is! Try it with shrimp too! Yumm-o!! Thanks for stopping by!! ~ Julie

      Delete
  2. I have never had crawfish,but I think the recipe sounds wonderful, I might substitute chicken though, for my family. Thanks so much for sharing on Meandering Mondays! Have a great holiday week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! It is truly devine! I *highly* recommend you try it (at least once) with crawfish or even shrimp. If crawfish aren't local to your area, you can generally find them in the freezer section near the seafood area in your local grocery. I give *strong* caution though - MAKE SURE you are getting Louisiana crawfish tails NOT chinese crawfish tails. Chinese crawfish tails taste nothing (in my opinion) like LA ones do, so the recipe will taste different. If you use shrimp, simply saute the shrimp until they are "just under" cooked and then add to the corn soup mixture. The shrimp will continue to cook while pulling in the flavor of the soup. ~ Julie

      Delete
  3. Love this recipe and I am actually following you from Meandering Mondays....... Thanks so much and I am following exactly..... I love crawfish!

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Strawberry Comments