February 16, 2012

Type 1 Diabetes Defined

I am a pretty passionate person! When I am into something, I'm not just into it... I'm IN TO IT. One of the things I am most passionate about is an ACCURATE portrayal of Type 1 Diabetes (T1D).

Our oldest daughter, Alyssa, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the tender age of 7. Talk about a hard blow that was! There I was, 7 months pregnant with our fourth child, and WHAM!... my "baby girl" was diagnosed with the horrific disease.

I think we have "come to terms" with the diagnosis now. I mean, its been part of our lives for **gasp** almost 10 years. Its not any easier to deal with now, but we certainly are more knowledgeable and don't panic as quickly these days. We still have moments of tears, screaming fits, and bitterness about the diagnosis. Yes, not just Alyssa but me too! The pain a mother feels for not being able to fix her child's "issue" is one that can only be truly understood if you walk in the mother's shoes.

Over the years, we have "heard it all" from friends, family and, yes, even strangers about T1D. Some are just un-informed, some are mis-informed, and some are just..... well, for lack of better words: heartless idiots!!!

Here are MY TOP 10  FACTS I would like to share with you about TYPE 1 DIABETES:

1. Type 1 diabetes (T1D) is an autoimmune disease in which a person's pancreas stops producing insulin. Insulin is a hormone that enables people to get energy from food. T1D occurs when the body's immune system attacks and destroys the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. The body attacks itself!

2.  It has nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. Its causes are not yet entirely understood & scientists believe that both genetic factors and environmental triggers are involved. Let me repeat, It has NOTHING to do with DIET or LIFESTYLE. A T1D can eat the same thing a non-T1D can eat - that doesn't make it a healthy choice (for either) but there are technically no food restrictions!

3. There is nothing you can do to prevent T1D, and as of right now, nothing you can do to get rid of it.

4. Insulin is REQUIRED, its not an alternative. No insulin taken = Death. Its THAT simple! Some people are insulin resistant on top of being insulin dependant! They don't make the insulin needed, then when they take the insulin (via shot or pump), the body refuses to use it correctly. These people need a pill on top of the insulin.... but they still require the insulin.

5. Insulin is NOT a CURE! Refer to #3. Those with T1D need a pancreas that works properly.

6. Warning signs of T1D include:
  • Extreme thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Drowsiness or lethargy
  • Increased appetite
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Sudden vision changes
  • Sugar in the urine
  • Fruity odor on the breath
  • Heavy or labored breathing
  • Stupor or unconsciousness

7. Every year, more than 15,000 children are diagnosed with T1D. It affects both children and adults, but is commonly referred to as "juvenile diabetes".

8. Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS! In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the body's cells ignore the insulin. This is commonly referred to as "insulin resistant" diabetes. Type 1 = the body doesn't make insulin at all, Type 2 = the body doesn't use insulin correctly or has a reduced amount produced.

9. Some people, including my daughter, where a device called an insulin pump. This is an external device used to administer insulin into the body.

10. Having Type 1 diabetes does not stop you from leading a FULL & NORMAL LIFE! In the past 9 1/2 years since Alyssa has been diagnosed she has danced, been on the school cheerleading squad, gone to youth camps, has a boyfriend, maintains over a 3.0 GPA in high school, goes to football games, rides horses, runs track for high school, actively involved in FFA, coaches two little conference cheerleading squads, leads Vacation Bible School crafts, drives a car, goes to dances, eats pizza, ice cream and candy, stays up all night and sleeps all day..... just like EVERY OTHER "NORMAL" TEENAGER!

Please go to www.jdrf.org for more information about Type 1 Diabetes and to support research to find a CURE!









12 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and you two ladies!! I wish we could PLASTER this everywhere so people could TRY to understand!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we love you and B too! I threw in the "insulin dependent AND insulin resistant" part for B! :)

      Delete
  2. What an excellent post. I think it's so hard for kids when they have to manage diabetes, but it sounds like she's really doing well! I hope a cure is found in her lifetime :-)

    Thanks for linking up today with Rural Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! She is doing well. We too hope for a cure!

      Delete
  3. I have a brother in law with juvenile onset diabetes and it's been a struggle for him to manage for many years. This is a great post to bring this serious condition to light. Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Nancy. I think we ALL know at least one person that this disease affects.

      Delete
  4. Like it. Have a nice week. Greetings from Romania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. she's beautiful and lucky to have such a well informed mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya. I am lucky to have her too! She has taught me so much! She is stronger than I ever could have thought of being at her age!

      Delete
  6. I know how you feel, similarly at least. My husband found out he was a T1D about 8 years ago. It has been said that he had a virus and his body attacked it.. and his the DNA for his pancreas was so similar to the virus that his body attacked his pancreas too. We have finally accepted it as well.. it is tuff. I am sorry your daughter is a diabetic.. but there are worse things. Thanks for educating. We get some of the strangest things said to us by family and well meaning people. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post. I have been gestational diabetic 3X (a 3rd form of diabetes) and I am always so very grateful that the diabetes disappears (literally within hours!) after delivery. Doctors and scientists still are not sure why some women (even skinny women!) develop GD, but thoughts are an ineffective placenta…one that is not working properly and is preventing insulin from circulating properly…I don't know a lot about the reasons why I get GD, but I'm so good at testing (5X a day) and changing diet and exercise. Still, with Baby #3, I HAD to take glucophage…my body just was not metabolizing carbs properly and my fasting blood sugars were sky high. HUGS for your daughter…TYPE 1 is livable, but as you point out, not curable at this time. I hate that little ones develop this autoimmune disorder and have to live life differently…we all need to eat like a Type 1 diabetic (in my opinion!), but the requirement of insulin is scary!!! Wishing you a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing Valerie. I had gestational diabetes with all 5 of my pregnancies (4 births, 1 miscarriage) so I know how you feel. I was able to control with diet alone for all but the last; then had to take insulin.

    ReplyDelete

Sweet Strawberry Comments